Egg Frittata Croque Madame
This classic French sandwich stacks layers of flavor from the rye bread to the ham and gruyere cheese. Though it traditionally has a fried egg on top, we’ve given it a twist by adding our savory and delicious Veggie & Swiss Cheese Egg Frittata instead.
- 1 Cusine Adventures Veggie & Swiss Cheese Egg Frittata
- 2 slices rye bread (smoked meat style)
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) butter, softened
- 2 tbsp (25 g) cream cheese, softened
- 2 thin slices cooked ham
- 1/4 cup (50 g) Gruyère or Swiss cheese, sliced or shredded
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 tomato, sliced (optional)
- Preheat the oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut a 3 inch (7.6 cm) circle in the center of 1 slice of bread.
- Toast both slices of bread on both sides then spread the butter on 1 side of both slices of bread. (The buttery side is on the outside).
- Heat the Frittata according to package directions.
- To assemble the Croque Madame: Spread the cream cheese on inside of both pieces of bread, add the ham and 3/4 of the sliced or shredded gruyere cheese on top.
- As an option, you can add slices of tomato.
- Close the sandwich. The slice of bread with the whole should be on the top.
- Place the Egg Frittata in the hole and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
- Put on a sheet pan and broil until the cheese is brown and bubbly (about 1 to 2 minutes).
- Garnish with the chives!