Green Chili Cornbread
Add an unexpected pairing to traditional cornbread with a spicy side dish made with corn and our Beef Chili.
- 2 Poblano peppers or any sweet/spicy chili of medium temperature
- 1 Ear of corn, shucked
- 1 cup (250ml) Crumble Feta
- 2 cups (500ml) Fine Cornmeal
- 3/4 cup (175ml) Unbleached flour
- 1 tsp (5ml) Salt
- 2 tsp (10ml) Baking powder
- 1 tsp (5ml) Baking soda
- 2 tbsp (30ml) Garlic powder
- 1 tsp (5ml) Honey
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (125ml) Milk
- 2 tbsp (30ml) Melted butter
Place the oven rack at the highest location directly beneath the broiler, and place directly on the rack the poblano peppers and the corn. When both the peppers and corn are blackened on top, carefully rotate them with a pair of tongs until they are blackened on the other side. Le them cool. Slice the corn from the cob. Cut off the top of the peppers, slice them open, and discard the seeds. Dice the peppers.
You can eliminate this step by using canned corn and canned diced green chilis.
Corn Batter Directions
- In a large bowl, combine and stir dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, milk and butter. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour liquid mix into the dry ingredients bowl and stir gently until all ingredients are moistened.
- To the bowl, add the roasted corn and chilies, along with the feta. Stir until combined.
Option 1: Cook in a cast iron skillet (25cm (10 inch))
- Preheat your oven to 400F and place a large cast iron skillet on your stovetop over medium heat. Into the preheated cast iron skillet, add a tablespoon of butter. Rotate the skillet to evenly oil the bottom and side.
- Pour the batter into the skillet (it will begin to sizzle) and move the skillet into the 400F oven. Bake for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350F and continue baking another 30-35 minutes. Let the cornbread cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
Option 2: Cook in a glass or aluminum pan. (25cm (10 inch))
- Rack in the middle position, preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Generously butter a 25cm (10-inch) pan. Set aside. (Do not preheat the pan, only the oven.) Bake at 400F for 30-35 minutes.
- Let the cornbread cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing.