Red & Green Tomato Ketchup
The zesty flavors of this made-from-scratch ketchup are the perfect complement to our Greek-cuisine-inspired Spanakopita.
Preparation Time: 3 hours
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp (15ml) ground allspice
- 1 tsp (5ml) black pepper
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground ginger
- 1 tsp (5ml) celery seeds
- 1/2 tsp (2ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2ml) ground mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp (1ml) clove powder
- 1/2 cup (125ml) unrefined sugar
- 1kg ripe tomatoes, chopped into small chunks
- 800g green (unripe) tomatoes, chopped into small chunks
- 1 tbsp (15ml) molasses
- 1 tbsp (15ml) sea salt
- 1 tbsp (15ml) vegetable oil
- In a stockpot, sweat the onions in the oil over low heat.
- Once the onion begins to turn translucent, add the garlic and spices and fry until fragrant.
- Add the sugar and a handful of the tomatoes and fry for about 5 minutes until they start to break down and caramelize.
- Add the remaining ingredients, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, covered, stirring often to ensure nothing sticks to the bottom.
- Take the pot off the heat and blend the mixture with a hand-held blender until combined. Return the pot to the stove and simmer, uncovered for about 1-1 1/2 hours until it becomes a thick sauce. The ketchup should have reduced by at least half at this stage.
- Bottle and preserve using a home canning technique.
Note: If you can’t source green tomatoes replace with red tomatoes. Sweetness will vary with tomato varieties.